Saturday, May 15, 2010

A necessary introduction

These are two of my favorite storefronts on Washington Street-- probably because they represent two things I love a lot: coffee and books. To the left you see 61 Coffeeshop; to the right, Lorelei Books. What better combination could there be??
I worked at Lorelei for a month around Christmas senior year. It's a pretty cool place, and Mrs. Laura regularly gets authors to come and sign books.


61 has this fantastically artsy, hippie sort-of ambience. The owner Mr. Daniel's wife runs a unique local art gallery upstairs, so the decor comes straight from the gallery. It's a great deal, I think.
Here's a confession. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this week I have been to 61 five of the six days they are open. The thing is, it's the best (only?) place in town to go for conversation, coffee, or music (often live on Thursday nights). Daniel and I go to talk and play "Go Fish", and Mom and I went a few times this week for a mid-morning pick-me-up between errands.
Saturday mornings are special treats because from 9-12, a lady comes to sell her delicious artisan breads and goodies. After roaming from yard sale to yard sale this morning, Mom and I walked over to get some bread. Then Dad came after he woke up, and then Emily and Daniel stopped by. I think I was there for 2 hours.

The corner table next to the front window is where I always try to sit. It's big enough to spread out and do homework (during the school year), and I get a perfect view of the red brick streets and storefronts outside. I've written papers there, done Calc III homework, journaled, and had countless conversations -- some with people I go with, some with people I meet.
The other day, at the aforementioned table, I noticed a little message left in magnets on the tin wall. I chuckled a little bit and pulled out my camera.

I like it! And I think it's pretty representative of this funky, hole-in-the-wall coffeeshop I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment