Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Mom is Cool

This morning, Mom suggested that we go on a grand photography adventure down south to Port Gibson. Well, we hadn't even left town before we made our first stop! There was this beautiful flowering tree that had showered the grass underneath and the sidewalk beside with its pretty red confetti-like buds. We had never seen such a thing!
On the way down, we happened to spot some cows lazing around underneath a big shade tree. Mom offered to stop the car, seeing as how it was such a "Mississippi"-sort-of scene, but when I opened my door I realized there was a gigantic ant mound exactly where I was about to step! In Port Gibson, the first thing I saw to photograph was the famous First Presbyterian Church. I once saw a picture of this church on a postcard in my Grandma's house in New Jersey! Who knew something from little ol' Port Gibson could be that well-known?

It makes a good point, though (pun not intended), and it's not quickly forgotten.

Next on the list was the Wintergreen Cemetery, "one of the oldest cemeteries in Mississippi." "Originally the burying ground of Samuel Gibson, founder of Port Gibson, and his family. Confederate General Earl Van Dorn is also buried here," read the plaque at the beginning of the drive.

There was a section in the cemetery for those who died in the Civil War in the battle of Port Gibson. The flag with this particular stone was especially striking (although I'm a little surprised it's not the Confederate flag). CSA stands for "Confederate States of America."I'm sure this headstone was elegant in when it was created in 1804, but the way it has aged is even more lovely -- the green of the moss, the orange of the rust... I hope it's not morbid to say I'd like my gravestone to look this beautiful after 200+ years.

Finally, here are a few shots of downtown Port Gibson:

The gorgeous antebellum Bernheimer House, where my cousin and his bride had their wedding reception...

AND "Yo Majesty's Beauty Salon, etc." right across the street. Quite the contrast, but it's actually a really good representation of these old southern towns.

3 comments:

  1. See I told you I would check your blog tonight! Want a random bit of info only the History geek would know? The flag you photographed is the Stars and Bars... the 1st National Flag of the CSA, but somehow it took a back seat to what we think of as the Confederate flag today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your pics, Hannah, but surprised ye old Brannen house didn't top the beautiful buildings list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, wow! I never knew that. Mrs. Elizabeth- hey! Thanks for checking out my blog! I'm sorry for not taking pictures of your house haha... but.. eh, we only had a limited time ;)

    ReplyDelete