Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Driving

This afternoon -- after church, lunch at Wendy's, and a nap -- Dad and I went on a photography expedition a couple miles along the Mississippi River. I guess I can't speak entirely for Dad, but I had such a fun time. I really love taking pictures, and spending time with Dad on a lazy afternoon was just wonderful.


First picture of the afternoon: a close-up of Queen Anne's Lace with the Mississippi River in the background. We were at the top of a grassy hill that had a For Sale sign advertising "Best view from New Orleans to Memphis," and while I can't personally verify it, I think I'm inclined to agree. (Maybe this picture is the best view from a mouse's perspective? --I'm thinking of the beautifully illustrated children's books Brambly Hedge.)
Many of the narrow roads we traveled ran right along the railroad tracks. I think railroad tracks for the photographer are like spring for the poet -- slightly cliche, but irresistible subjects.


While Dad and I were taking pictures under a little bridge, we heard the unmistakable whistles of a train! Oh man, so exciting! Unfortunately most of my pictures didn't turn out too great, but this one at least shows how close we were!

We came across this fantastic abandoned grocery store on our drive. I think the theme for the artwork was "Remember the Dream" (words which were lightly written on the far right side), with Martin Luther King on the far left, and maybe Harriet Tubman on the far right. I've never seen this store before in my life, but what a landmark. Very cool.


Bricks again. I just love these slightly crumbly bricks that are everywhere in Vicksburg.


Here's a corner shot of the aptly-named almost-antebellum (built in 1873) home, The Corners. I like the heavy wrought-iron fence. It's not one of the best-known tour homes in Vicksburg, but it's really beautiful anyway.








Oh man. When Dad and I happened upon this abandoned railroad depot, we just had to get out. There were so many colors and textures and weird rusty metal contraptions! Again, I'd never seen this before, but I love it. I wish I could say I was more knowledgeable about train pieces and about this part of town, but I'm not. I'm afraid all I can do is admire it through the lens of a camera.




Who knows what on earth this is?


I know rust is destructive, but it's really beautiful, too.


Again, I have no idea what this stuff is. I have a feeling, though, that knowledge wouldn't make me appreciate it any more.



On the other side of the tracks was this abandoned caboose. I love this picture for the bright blues and yellows.


Cool lighting between the stationary trains.




Okay. Last picture!


First observation: I really like black and white pictures with dainty white flowers.


Second: Do you see the little fly on the the flower to the right of the middle?





What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I really like all of these :) You'll have to print out some of your favorites at the end of the summer to put up in our apartment! :)

    ReplyDelete