Friday, May 14, 2010

Bricks, bark, and birdhouses

Oh, the things you see on a walk!
This morning, after my indoor cycling class, Mom and I went for a great walk downtown-ish. There seemed to be a common motif of things we spotted, or maybe we were subconsciously on the lookout for awesome old brick walls, interesting trees and bark, and quaint birdhouses tucked away in the branches. Either way, these pretty sightings brought a little extra cheer to our morning walk.

I think the black and white makes this photo very old-fashionedly southern. This scene hasn't changed for as long as I can remember, and I'm glad for that. There is beauty in the daily grind.

Okay, here's the question of the day. What do you think this muscular-looking crepe myrtle tree trunk looks like? Mom and I kind of thought it resembled a 3-finger hand with a thumb nub (ha!), but I could also see some sort of reindeer or antelope. Any other ideas? (It's like finding shapes in clouds!)
This pretty church-like birdhouse was found snuggled in thick leaves on some ground next to the sidewalk. I love the idea of putting things in well-thought out places like that. Rather than just scattering nicknacks everywhere, I think intentionality makes just a few little treasures even more special.
This brick wall with ivy growing on it seems to give off an air of The Secret Garden-esque mystery.
Okay, I know these milk jugs lined up against a wall are not "bricks, bark, or birdhouses," but they striked my interest nonetheless. I wonder what they're doing there... does the dweller of this home recycle plastics #1 and #2, or is he collecting milk jugs for a school project? Does he keep plastic milk bottles for the same reason I keep glass tea bottles -- just because I think they're cool -- or is there a legitimate reason behind the collection? Also, some of them look like they're still full of tea. That fact makes it a little harder to guess the motives...
Or maybe I'm just too curious; I bet that's it.

The knotty wooden fence and the crumbly brick wall make for a great combination of textures.

I really love this tree covered in a thick flowering vine-plant. At first glance, I didn't even notice that there's something hidden amongst the flowers...
...Yes, it's another pretty birdhouse tucked away in the leaves! What a fun vacation home it must be for some bird who's used to the hanging-from-a-tree-limb variety. Gosh, I'd like to live there!
The last photo of our walk is of a very cool peeling tree. I don't know the species or anything, but I bet if wood nymphs and dryads were real, this tree would have a fun personality -- probably like that of a sweet, careless kid who stays out in the sun too long.

God uses these type of walks to teach me that he made beautiful things everywhere, and he made us with creative hearts and minds to see, appreciate, and reflect his lovely handiwork. There is so much wonder in this world.

4 comments:

  1. Hannah, I'm so thankful for you and your eye for beauty. And I think the tree reminds me somehow of a rabbit... with a bushy tail and ears sticking up and a dark, beady eye lookin' atcha.
    P.S. Please come back to Washington and come see Point Defiance park! You would enjoy it SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rosemary! I think I see the rabbit and its ears :) And thank YOU (both!) for your encouraging comments. I love reading them!

    And yes, I'd love to visit Washington again. Who knows when, but we still have 2+ years to make it happen :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forever. (Unless I'm in Africa.)

    ReplyDelete