Thursday, May 13, 2010

"Partially Completed" sounds better than "Unfinished"

Today I finished the embroidery part of my dear hedgehog pillow. The "H h" took way longer than it should have, but oh well! I'd gotten quicker by the time the lower case "h" was nearing its completion.
I guess the toughest part is actually making the pillow because I haven't done too much sewing before. That's really the joy of this project, though! --learning two skills I've never spent much or any time doing yet. And how rewarding too!

The second mostly-completed accomplishment is reading the first book of the summer! My goal is to read 10 full-size books by the end these months at home. Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery was number one; now I'm on to Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Two things about me: I dearly love to read, and I love being sort of well read and "cultured". Secondly, there is a place in my heart especially reserved for Anne Shirley Blythe and stories by L.M. Montgomery. I say in full seriousness that, after the Bible, the Anne of Green Gables series have made me who I am and have shaped what I love. It might be a little cheesy, but after reading the entire series four times (confession!), Anne taught me a lot about what I know of life and love and joy... and loss, too.

Also today, Mom and I went to my great-aunt's house in Clinton. She keeps an incredible yard-- growing tomatoes (shown below), squash, okra, beans, and a lot of lovely flowers-- AND she mows her own lawn. Talk about amazing! We had a fun time taking her out for a birthday lunch and hearing about the latest events of my great-uncles. Gosh, I love my family.

There was a cheery red birdhouse sticking up among some bright pink roses in her yard, too. I love that you can kind of see some of the pine straw of a bird's nest inside.
On that note, I need to go to bed. It's going to be an early morning!








1 comment:

  1. Yay for Anne! Guess what? Just today I was thinking that I was definitely glad I had read Uncle Tom's Cabin. (Don't be afraid to cry!)

    ReplyDelete