Monday, May 17, 2010

Another week of Chill

As some of you know, I was scheduled to start my job at ERDC today. When I say "I was scheduled to start" today, I mean that I actually did not. This is a slightly frustrating predicament because my start date entirely dependent upon the arrival date of my transcript. And it hasn't arrived yet -- two weeks after I put in the request.

But honestly, I can't complain too much. I mean, I have another week of freedom, for goodness sakes. And it's not as if I'm not keeping myself busy. Working was definitely a pre-Fall activity, and I fully believe that God created us to work. Laziness is miserable! So, I can only interpret this extra week at home as a way of God letting me have more time with my family and more time to do fun things! And I'm thankful for it.

When I got the email from my boss saying that I will have to start next Monday (the 24th), I reminded Mom that now we'll have time to go to this cool antique alley (two streets of nothing but antique stores!) in West Monroe, LA. Mom said, "Well, why don't we go today??" So she called my cousin Michelle, who was also free to get outta town, and we headed to Monroe! Funny thing about that little excursion: we didn't know that Antique Alley is completely closed on Mondays! (There were 3 stores open. Wouldn't ya know it?) We made the best of the trip, though, and it was great to spend time with Michelle.

When we got back, Michelle and I went for a walk to Vicksburg's Public Library. (This is where my pictures begin.) Goodness, I love walking. And even more than merely going on a walk for exercise, I love walking with a purpose. I am of the opinion that the public library is a worthy purpose.

This is a shot from the Monroe/Drummond bridge. (I've always thought it funny that the bridge technically isn't on a road! Drummond street ends right before it, and Monroe begins right after it.) That's Fisher Funeral Home in the front, and First Baptist's steeple in the background.


I really love our library. It looks pretty dated -- with distinct '70's style architecture -- from the outside, and on the inside, there are a lot of '90's-looking posters with movie stars (Mel Gibson, among others) telling everyone who enters to READ. Like Doritos and fast cars and milk, I guess libraries need a little boost from celebrities, too.

I love our book depository. When I was younger, I always thought I was so official when I reached up on tip-toes to drop my books down the slot.
I also love the fact that it only mentions videos and cassettes -- not DVDs. I would like to mention that our library does carry a good selection of DVDs (I checked one out today, in fact.) but the book depository is just too cool to replace.

The Children's Fiction section downstairs overlooks Washington Street (note the bright background of the window). Can you guess my focal point on the bookshelf?
Remember these magazines? Michelle and I had a fun time browsing the new American Girl ones. Both of our childhoods were heavily influenced by American Girl dolls, books, and magazines; so today in the library, we oohed and ahhed over the cute cupcakes, the little miniatures, and creative sandwiches illustrated in the magazines. Mmm!

Finishing the afternoon with a great indoor cycling class, I'd say it turned out to be a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Hannah; that's frustrating! Praise the Lord that it wasn't worse. Guess He had a better plan for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm enjoying the week so far! AND I get to spend the night with my friend Ann Ashton in Starkville tomorrow, which is wonderful :) God is good.

    ReplyDelete