Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Antiques

Try #2 for Antique Alley in Monroe, LA:
The stores were open! And we made some great finds.
(I posted this picture because I think the sign in this picture is interesting; it looks like the sign-makers quit spelling "Antiques" halfway through. ha!)
There is so much stuff in every single one of those stores. From records to sewing machines, nicknacks to oak furniture, and fun retro salt and pepper shakers to old window frames, this collection of stores known as Antique Alley probably has anything an antique-er could want. I love it!
By the way, although I did not purchase any salt and pepper shakers, I thought these were pretty cool. Tempting, but too pricey.
This old globe was really neat. Actually, this particular store had a lot of awesome things to browse through...

The truth is, I love antiques. I hear there are people out there who do not, and I respect that; but my mom and dad both have raised me to adore the classic style of heavy oak furniture, the old-fashioned goose-neck lamps and rolltop desks, the art of scraping and refinishing old yard chairs (doomed to a flaming death in a bonfire -- true story!) and dressers and window frames, and of course, Mom's beloved antique Pyrex mixing bowl sets (one of which I look forward to receiving as a future wedding gift!). Do you think that's a southern thing?

I've mentioned window frames a couple of times in this post, and it has not been by accident. This was my find! Call me crazy, but I think this old window has a lot of potential (and it was cheap). Future apartment-mates, listen up: I envision scraping and sanding the peeling paint off the frame, repainting it (either something classic like off-white, OR something cheery like buttercup, green, or wisteria), taking the glass panes out, replacing them with mirrors, and hanging it up in our apartment. Is that weird? Mirrors make rooms look bigger, and besides, they're nice to have around sometimes.

Okay, this fabric was not found in Antique Alley, but it was another find for the day. Also, if you are not living with me next year, then the next little bit may be quite uninteresting.

As you may imagine, the different fabric is for the pillows! Here is the fabric that will make two pillows. Obviously, the yellow has already been embroidered, but the green will be, too. (Any ideas as to whose? I haven't made decisions yet.) So, the solid colors will be the front, and the floral will be the back.


And this fabric (the new stuff) will be for the second two pillows. Shown on top is an off-white muslin. It's the same deal as above: solid colors will be the front and the floral will be the back. How do you guys (especially Jane, April, and Bethany) like them?


Ahh. What a productive day. And it's not over yet!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it, Hannah! I think that window would be especially great with mirrors to make the room bigger. What a great idea! The hard thing will be hanging it, since we can't nail things in, but we'll figure it out! :) It's a great idea! And I looooove how the first pillow is coming! So cute! (Green is my favorite color, so if you need a green volunteer...) Seriously, love, they look great! I am so glad you're having so much fun with this all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so cute! And I love the window(soon to be mirror). I think I like the pink and blue floral better...it will match with my quilt and such. Hannah. You rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your finds! I have some of that floral in the last picture! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, it's hard to see in the picture, but it's actually a lavender and blue floral print. Is that still okay? And would you prefer the purple or cream solid (or maybe even the green... I don't think it clashes with the green leaves) for your jellyfish to be embroidered on?

    April, I can definitely do your pillow with the green floral backing! Would you prefer the green or cream solid for your alligator? I was thinking the green thread on the green fabric might be too similar.

    Mrs. Shibley! Thanks for checking it out! I really like that fabric too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, do whatever you think is best with my pillow! :) I know it'll look great! (We are actually watching a movie at home now... after all of that! It was great to chat with you though!)

    ReplyDelete