Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Exertion

Today I mowed the yard next door.

(I have never mowed a yard before, and this one is particularly large and bumpy.)

Around lunchtime, I became extremely antsy for a road trip. I'm not talking about Lake Claiborne, Jackson, or Monroe, either. No, I wanted to go to Arkansas, or Arizona, or somewhere very far away. And why not? I have 6 days before I report to work, and I was in a very weird mood.

Dad suggested I mow the yard instead, so I did.

This is a picture of my kingdom. Of course, it's not really mine, but when I took my water break, I sat back on a brick wall, downed my Nalgene of water, and felt just like a queen surveying her dominion. Actually the feeling was probably more like the slaves in Egypt after they built the pyramids. The pyramids did not belong to them slaves, but I'm sure they could at least marvel at their own construction.
Okay, okay... I'm definitely going overboard with the metaphors, but you get the idea. (And I've only ever mowed once. Ha! I am capable of romanticizing any chore.)



Here is the trusty lawn mower. I got to know it pretty well.

After mowing, I sat in my sweat on the back porch, downed another Nalgene of water, and read 25 pages of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

2 comments:

  1. bahaha
    I love you.
    Especially your metaphors.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. entries like THIS are why you are, indubitably, my favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete