Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ice Cream and an epiphany

This morning in my quiet time, as I was reading 1 Thessalonians 5, I had a bit of an epiphany. I was struck by the simple metaphors Paul uses: "You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness." Most of us are really familiar with this imagery; so familiar, in fact, that sometimes we need to step back and look at the big picture. God made the day, and the light, and the darkness. God created all of the things he uses to illustrate his love, and who we are in him.

Taking that a little farther, do you think he might have created the birds so he could show us how he feeds them and cares for them, even though they don't reap or store things in barns?
Or that maybe he spoke flowers into existence to remind us that he will clothe us in beauty (far more beautiful than clothes from the Gap), too?Similarly, Jesus tells us that he is the vine, and we are the branches. "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5). It's really striking imagery, because we know that branches and leaves cut off from the source of life die. They get raked into the street to be picked up with the garbage. Do you think maybe God created vines (which don't exactly appear to have a purpose, but I'm no gardener) so we could actually see how dependent we are and must be on the Lord?

I don't really know, but it's something to think about.

After church, our family headed to Lake Claiborne for the afternoon to spend time with aunts, uncles, and cousins, sort of in celebration of my brother's birthday. My contribution was yummy homemade caramel ice cream.


Also, I just found out I won the bid for the melamine dish set! Be expecting photos in the week to come.

Speaking of the apartment (loosely), my good friend and future apartment-mate April is leaving for Mexico tomorrow!! Please be praying for her, and read her blog to find out more. She is absolutely awesome. www.seeingonlyhim.blogspot.com

That's all for now.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah,
    What a cool revelation! I had never thought about that before. Thanks for sharing.
    And congratulations on winning the bid.
    And have fun at your FIRST DAY OF WORK tomorrow!!
    Love,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary, thanks! Work is going very well! We should have a phone date soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HANNAH! I am playing catch up! I just got computer access :) Hehe. Training's over and today I will be THERE there! AHH! You'll have to email me soon and tell me about work :)

    I loved hearing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete