Friday, June 18, 2010

Squash

It was a hot day today
And it's not even July. I think I've mentioned it, though, but I get a strange delight in sitting in a hot car. The AC is sometimes just too much, and it's really nice to suck in that thick-tasting air. The funny thing is, I'm not even being sarcastic.


One very nice thing about my work is that I can begin at any time between 7 and 9 am. Because I value my afternoons, I usually go in at 7. Today, however, I went in at 7:35 because I was working on a very special and very urgent projectThis shirt is for my dear brother Daniel, and my shirt you shall see tomorrow. I'm going to be wearing it proudly because Holland is playing game #2! I rarely get excited about sports games. In fact, I usually avoid them unless friends are participating or going to watch as well.

In this particular case, I am excited because I have a pretty significant amount of Dutch pride. This is harder to do in Mississippi (because most everyone in Mississippi is from Mississippi), but definitely not impossible.


These squash are not from the farmers' market, but they are from a friend's grandparents' garden. I'm pretty sure both sources are equally "green."

Squash Casserole (Bell's Best 1982):

2 c. fresh squash, chopped (sliced)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small pkg. (sleeve) Ritz crackers
1/4 c. melted oleo (margarine!)
1 c. grated cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook squash and onion until tender; drain off all liquid. Mash. Beat together egg and milk; add to squash. Mix cheese, oleo, and cracker crumbs. Add 1/2 to squash mixture. Pour into buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top. Bake 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.

It's that easy.

Tonight was the closing ceremony for my church's Vacation Bible School! I wish I had been able to help, but alas, work got in the way. Anyway, the kids in the program tonight were so cute. VBS is always a blast.

As for my summer reading goals, I have now read 4 of the 10 books of the summer, and on to number 5. The Red Badge of Courage I do not particularly recommend. It was not bad, but it took longer than what it was worth. Maybe my problemis that I don't really like war books. I just can't get into them. Anyway, I bought 3 new books on Amazon: Redeeming Love, A Praying Life, and Grapes of Wrath. I'm reading them in that order, so I've already begun the first! SO good, so far.

In fact, I think it's time to go read right now.

Hooray for Saturdays! And brothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment