Friday, June 4, 2010

Prune juice popsicles and kale smoothies

Well guys, it's time for me to try to give blood again. As most of you know, I have only ever succeeded giving blood once. Once -- out of about six tries! For the last year or so, the reason for failures has been that my iron level is too low. (The one time I did succeed was just a few weeks after returning from Yellowstone. My red blood cells had multiplied at the higher altitude!! --and even that time, I guess I only partially succeeded because I took a 3 hour nap after practically fainting.)

It's actually really disheartening to go in with high hopes of helping someone out and getting a free t-shirt, only to be told your body is a failure at absorbing iron.
So, when I walked into work the first day and saw this sign glaring at me, I knew it was time to do something. Unfortunately... I didn't start doing something until yesterday, and the blood drive is Tuesday. We shall see.

But after a little research, I think I have a good plan for the next 4 days. Of course I will be taking a daily iron vitamin, but I also read that drinking green smoothies (kale + banana) works......as does prune juice and quinoa (a type of grain) and blackstrap molasses. Isn't that fascinating? Sure, a diet of prune juice popsicles and kale smoothies might make the average person throw up, but I think it'll be just fine!

Furthermore, on my shopping trip to Kroger, I found three things I can honestly say I have never bought before. That is always exciting.
The guy who helped me find kale and quinoa (Would it be with the oatmeal on the hot cereal aisle? or with the flour or the couscous? ...the answer: none of the above. Natural foods section. It makes sense.) was really great! When I told him I was looking for kale, he sort of gave me a weird look and asked why I would be wanting that. "Well... I read that you can make smoothies with it..." I replied, and he in turn told me his favorite kale smoothie recipe! Hooray!

Tomorrow I will try drinking spinachy greens and eating a homemade popsicle made of prune juice. It's going to be an interesting day!

1 comment:

  1. *makes nauseated groaning sort of sound* Yay, Hannah, that's great! I'll be praying for you to be able to give blood.

    ReplyDelete