Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bleeding

#1
Unfortunately, I was not able to give blood yesterday. The likely reason is that I didn't start the iron pills soon enough; the less likely, but still possible, reason is that the iron pills have expired.
The lady who tested my iron was so understanding, though. Gosh, she pricked two fingers just to see if it would go up from 10.4 to 12.5! On the second try the count was higher: 11.3 or something-- but still not high enough. I could tell she really wanted to let me go through with it.
Anyway, for the rest of the day I had bandaids wrapped around both of my middle fingertips!

#2
The second time I bled a lot yesterday was at my stained glass workshop! Of course it makes sense, since we're cutting andsanding actual glass, but by the end of the two hours I had 4 bandaids on my hands and fingers from little shards of glass! I felt kind of pitiful.

Here's a picture of my work thus far. It's not finished yet, obviously; I still have to grind all the pieces to be in perfect compliance with the pattern. I think it's going to be pretty cool though.
The instructor of the class is really good. He gets commissioned to make grand stained glass windows for churches all over the country! And his selection of all the different colors of glass is fantastic.
I'm pretty sure I used that blue-green glass in the foreground as part of my border. I love the beautiful textures and patterns.
This is the grinder. It's really fun to use because you can just rub off the rough edges and make everything fit together perfectly! If only everything were that easy...

After work today, I biked downtown to the Farmers'
Market. I got two eggplants for Eggplant Parmesan on Saturday night, one peach to reward myself for biking, and a bunch of fresh-picked blueberries! Yum!
One of these days, I will buy a few good-looking squash to make squash casserole. That's probably my favorite comfort food, so future apartment-mates, watch out! :-)

Later this afternoon, I got to spend an hour talking with my wonderful friend Rosemary and I made step #1 of chocolate-cherry sorbet. Oh my gosh. It smells so good.

"Semi-colons only prove that the author has been to college." -E.B. White (I like this quotation.)

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see the squash casserole recipe. Could you post it on your blog sometime? Love the stained glass and the farmers market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby, you're amazing! I am so sorry you couldn't give blood again. Poor baby! I love the stained glass though!

    ReplyDelete